Kyle H. Jarzmik Law
How to Choose the Right Criminal Attorney
The state of Georgia was recently ranked as the sixth most dangerous state in the U.S., with a crime rate of 1,433 for every 100,000 residents. If you have been accused of a crime, hiring an attorney can help improve the outcome. Your attorney will represent you in court and guide you on the best way to handle your case. For example, an attorney can help you fight DUI charges, or probation violations. In these difficult situations, it can be stressful to hire an attorney. That’s why we’ve created this quick guide to help you find the best lawyer for you.
- Ask for referrals. With so many criminal attorneys in Georgia, where should you start your search? A great place to kick-off your search is by asking other attorneys for a referral. Or, a friend or family member might recommend a particular lawyer.
- Search Online. Search for “criminal defense lawyers in Georgia”. Google will sort the results by location so you can find one close to you. It’s also a great place to read reviews on each lawyer and find contact information. An internet search may also suggest other professional organizations that may be able to provide you with information and support.
- Choose a reputable attorney. Once you have found a few attorneys that you are interested in, contact them directly to find out more. They will inform you of whether they have expertise with your situation and if they will be able to represent you in court.
- Arrange a consultation. An attorney will need to fully assess your current situation so you receive the best legal assistance. Arrange a consultation with your attorney or consult a few attorneys. This is your chance to ask them any questions you might have and receive expert legal advice. Some attorneys will charge you for this service. Choose a lawyer that has the right experience for a price you can afford. You should feel comfortable communicating with your lawyer.
- Keep in contact with your attorney. Once an attorney has agreed to take on your case, they will tell you what happens next. However, it's important that you keep in contact with your lawyer, too. You should check in with them on a regular basis to see if there are any developments in your criminal case. If you have to go to court, a good attorney will provide you with plenty of information about the process and help you navigate court appearances. You may need to make regular appointments to meet with your attorney. You may want to take a friend or family member with you to any meetings with your attorney for support.
Choosing a criminal defense attorney in Georgia can be a daunting process. With so many attorneys out there, it can be hard to know where to turn. The Law Office of Kyle H. Jarzmik, LLC, specializes in criminal law — including misdemeanors, felonies, and DUI charges — and can provide you with all the legal information you need.